Something big is going on in Google land. If you’re emailing your peeps using a @gmail.com “From Address” (like email@example.com) through Mailchimp, Active Campagin or any other email service provider – you’ve got a MASSIVE problem but it’s easy to fix. Let me explain:
Gmail updated it’s Domain-based Message Authentication, Reporting & Conformance (DMARC) policy.
DMARC allows domains to tell mail servers to reject messages using that domain in the “From address”, if the message did not originate from that domain’s own mail server. In plain English: Email service providers can’t send “from” GMail addresses anymore. (Yahoo! & AOL.com already have the same policy).
firstname.lastname@example.org = Good email@example.com = Bad
***Note: If you use Google for Work with a private domain email address (like firstname.lastname@example.org you WILL NOT be effected ***
What does that mean for you?
- You MUST create a “From” address from your private domain: like email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org ASAP! (See instructions below)
- Check Autoresponders – Update the “From” field if needed
- Check the all “Sender” addresses on confirmation forms, broadcast emails, etc.
3 reasons why this is good thing…
Using @gmail.com email address for your business is:
- Shows you have no confidence in your business idea – If you know this business is going to success you’d buy a private domain and set up a proper email address
- Gets you more comfortable with tech part of your business
How to create a private domain email address:
Setting up a private (or customize) domain email address is super easy.
Site hosted with Godaddy?
- Log in to GoDaddy.com
- Click the green “Manage” button near Web Hosting
- Click “Email” at the top of your screen
- Click “Create New Email”
- Follow instructions.
Not a Godaddy user? Check as the handy videos below for SquareSpace Users, Blue Host & Host Gators or call your web developer.
Helping You Turn Internet-Randos Into Subscribers Addicted To Throwing Fistful Of Cash At You On Repeat (Without being a dirty rotten spammer face) Join the 1000's of other online biz owners + bloggers sending weekly newsletters subscribers feverishly refresh their...
This episode Lanie Lamarre of Miss GSD breaks down exactly she created, organized and ran the I’m the Boss Giveaway — without losing her mind or any key information from contributors. This massive giveaway contest had over 20 collaborators to keep track up and...
Organized by day and type on an ultra-confident Trello Board. Looking for more comments on your latest post and it's Wednesday? There's a card for that (with clickable links) This post may contain affiliate links, meaning I may receive a commission if you use them. I...